Monday, August 29, 2005

The Addams Family

The trip with the family this weekend was .... uh, how shall I put this ... short lived. What is it about these visits to these particular relatives that always end up being ... a little creepy? Honestly, after the onslaught of boredom from last year's trip, I vowed to never go again. I only went this time because I thought it would be a good opportunity to talk about my new business to my family. Well, that opportunity never arose. We weren't there long enough. We came back to Baltimore the same night.

Now, these relatives we visit have money. A lot of it. And the rest of us are pretty much damn near poor, especially in comparison. Every year for the past three years we've visited him, he's been in a different "mansion". What I can't figure out is if he has so much money why do his houses always look like shit? Sure, it's BIG, but it's gross! Especially this latest house we visited. I felt like I was in that Stephen King movie "The Shining". I kept expecting to see dead twins pop up around every twisted corner. And everyone who lives in that house could be from a horror flick, too. Even the dog, who pissed and then threw up big chunks of burnt chicken that was fed to him because it was too chargroiled and toxic for human consumption, was eerie to say the least. The carpet and walls were painted this vomit shade of putrid lime green and the molding was ... wait for it ... pink.

They attempted to grill food for us, but as I mentioned earlier, it was more like they were trying to burn the house down. The meat was unrecognizable. Thankfully, some skilled grilling veterans ( my mom and my aunt) saved the day with the food. But let me tell you, trying to find some food or anything kitchenlike in their kitchen was a chore. No plates, no silverware, no trashcan ... and I looked everywhere. Sure, you have a movie screen sized TV, but you can't go to the dollar store and stock up on some kitchenware?

Anyhoo, we left the creepy mansion and went home the same night. We felt like prisoners escaping Sing-Sing. It was a bit funny. And I know they mean well. They're just odd, kind of like the Addams Family.

So, summer is over officially because school started today. I know this because I live right by a school and this morning as I drove off it was like trying to navigate a mine field. The street was full of kids. I can't believe this is it. I feel like my summer just started yesterday. I'm not ready, yet, I'm just not ready.

"I want 2 get away, I wanna fly away!" - Lenny Kravitz, Fly Away

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home